We are committed to the principle of equality and equal opportunities in employment and have been accredited with being a Disability Confident Leader. We will actively promote equality and equal opportunities in our business to ensure that individuals receive treatment that is fair and equitable and consistent with their relevant aptitudes, potential skills and abilities.
West Ham United FC is committed to equality and safeguarding children and vulnerable adults. Positions that involve working with such groups are subject to safer recruitment protocols, including DBS Disclosure at enhanced level.
West Ham United staff enjoy generous benefits, including a contributory scheme, 25 days’ leave and life assurance. You can also take advantage of childcare vouchers, interest-free season ticket loans, a cycle to work scheme and our employee wellbeing programme.
As a Female Community Activator you will be responsible for the delivery, planning and evaluation of physical activity and health and wellbeing activations delivered specifically to females and family groups within Education and Community settings across East London & Essex.
You will ensure activities are safe and suitable for all participants involved, and you will have the responsibility of supervising and supporting participants, making sure protocols are followed at all times.
Finally, you will promote the WHU Foundation mission of encouraging sports participation, promoting health and wellbeing and improvement life opportunities.
Specifically, the WHU Foundation Female Community Activator will:
• Deliver high quality physical activity and health and wellbeing provision that is inclusive to all and contributes to increasing levels of physical activity of participants
• Deliver targeted learning interventions/activities to females to support the raising of pupil attainment and their awareness of mental health and wellbeing.
• Coordinate and deliver the Park Play programme within the Basildon area.
• Develop a holistic female participation pathway across all West Ham United Foundation programmes
• Support the delivery of wider West Ham United Foundation programmes such as Premier League Primary Stars Programme, Football Development Centres and school holiday provision
• Develop & maintain effective and positive relationships with all partner and community organisations
• Break down barriers of engagement for female groups while promoting positive physical and mental health while supporting the development of confidence and self-esteem through the West Ham United Women’s FC brand.
• Take responsibility for the planning, delivery and evaluation of female and family targeted activations delivered in education and community settings across East London & Essex, aiming to be inclusive for all and bring awareness to participants physical and mental wellbeing.
• Coordinate and deliver the Park Play programme within the Basildon area in line with set targets and frameworks.
• Contribute to the delivery and evaluation of all programmes including but not restricted to the Premier League Primary Stars Programme and further Football Development projects in line with West Ham United Foundation’s high-quality standards and framework.
• Deliver the highest possible quality of sport and educational based activities, to a wealth of targeted participants with varying abilities, needs and demands, in a variety of environments, including:
o Class delivery in primary and secondary schools
o Community settings such as local parks
o Extra-Curricular Sessions
o Soccer Schools and Holiday Camps
o Whole School Assemblies
o Educational Interventions (PSHE)
• Continually monitor and evaluate all sessions and activities, adapting delivery accordingly. Provide up to date monitoring information using systems such as Substance VIEWS, production of activity registers, and create monthly reports for funders identifying programmes achievement of identified objectives.
• Support the delivery and promotion of WHU Foundation Women’s Elite Player Pathway programmes
• Develop existing relationships with West Ham United Women FC including providing match day support at home matches (when applicable)
• Ensure all activities are delivered to the standards expected in regard to coaching, health and safety and child protection and in accordance with the Foundation’s /Club’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
• When required, provide cover and assistance for other coaching staff across all boroughs/areas that the Foundation operates. This cover may extend to attending meetings, conferences, workshops and events if required.
• Positively promote the Clubs/Foundation’s Equal Opportunities Policy and core values in all aspects of the post’s responsibilities and duties.
1. To ensure that all departments are provided within an anti-discriminatory framework and take account of such issues as race, gender, sexuality, disability, religion, sexual orientation and age.
2. To carry out work in a manner which promotes equality of opportunity for both staff and clients.
1. Staff must evidence a commitment to the safety and welfare of children, young people and adults at risk regardless of their age, gender, language, religion, ethnic background or sexual identity and ensure the safety and protection of all children, young people and adults at risk taking part in any activity arranged by or in the name of the Club.
2. It is a requirement for staff to follow the Club’s Safeguarding reporting procedures to report without delay, allegations of abuse, poor practice or which is or may, impact on the welfare of a child, young person or adult at risk. After contacting and taking guidance from the Safeguarding Team, staff must use the Club’s Child Protection Online Management System (CPOMS ) to record the concern within 24 hours unless directed to do otherwise.
Employees will be recruited and selected, promoted and trained on the basis of objective criteria.
The ideal candidate will have skills and experience in the following areas: -
Essential (E) Desirable (D)
Education, Qualifications, Experience
• Experience of delivering sports coaching within schools and community (E)
• Hold a minimum of a level 2 sports coaching in a specific sport or multisport (E)
• Emergency First Aid Certificate & Safeguarding Awareness Training (E)
• Safeguarding Awareness Training (E)
• Full UK Driving license and access to a car (E)
• FA Level 2 Coaching qualification (D)
• Monitoring and evaluating programme delivery, creating reports for internal and external stakeholders (D)
• Experience of delivering educational programmes (D)
• Mental Health First Aid Training (D)
Skills, Abilities, Behaviours
• Demonstrate a good understanding of how to engage hard to reach/engage groups (E)
• Demonstrate an understanding of how to improve sports participation (E)
• Demonstrate an understanding of school sports and social inclusion provision. (D)
• Ability to work independently, line manage, supervise and motivate team members (E)
• Able to work within a diverse community and draw on individual strengths to promote sports participation (E)
• Excellent oral and written communication skills that engage a diverse population of participants and internal/external stakeholders (E)
• Good organisational skills, able to prioritise and work within deadlines (E)
• Flexible working in accordance with the requirements of the service which will include working evenings and weekends where applicable. (E)
• Commitment to develop and improve own performance and CPD (E)
• Strong commitment to quality service delivery
We believe that a diverse workforce strengthens our creativity and delivers the best commercial performance. We are, therefore seeking applications from high quality people, whose backgrounds, experience and identity broadens and enhances the diversity of our company.
As an employer we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health of our staff.
Applications Close Date: 04 Mar 2021
Established in 1895. West Ham United Football Club are steeped in Football culture, having homed some of the greatest players in English Football, including 1966 World Cup heroes Geoff Hurst & Bobby name - to name but a few. Whilst the majority of their history was based in The Boleyn Ground - more famously known as Upton Park - in 2016 they moved to the London Stadium, originally constructed as the home of the 2012 Olympic games. West Ham United can now boast one of the most advanced stadiums in the country, offering their support (and staff) some of the best facilities in the country.