JOB TITLE: Local Academy Scout - Midlands
REPORTS TO: Head of Local Recruitment
DIRECT REPORTS: None
LOCATION: Predominantly home based with local / regional travel
HOURS: 10 hours per week including evenings / weekends
DATE: February 2024
We are Wolves. Progressive, determined, bright, unified and humble. A pack that is hungry for success. Wolves is one of the fastest growing professional football clubs in the UK, and also boasts one of the richest histories in the beautiful game.
Formed in 1877, Wolves was a founder member of the Football League, and was one of the country’s most successful sides in the fifties and sixties. During a two decade spell the Black Country’s most decorated side won three First Division titles and one of its four FA Cups.
Fast forward 70 years and Wolves are back amongst football’s elite. In the past six years we have celebrated promotion to the Premier League, back-to-back 7th placed finishes and a Europa League quarter-final campaign. Now, we will be competing in the Premier League for a sixth successive season.
But this post is not about what we have done, but what we will achieve next.
We take seriously our commitment to the safeguarding of children and adults at risk and to ensuring that Wolves is free from discrimination and harassment.
There has never been a more exciting time to work at Wolves. The Club is in the process of developing practices, strategies and teams to deliver success at the very highest level.
The Local Academy Scout will predominately focus on players within the 6-14 age range covering games, fixtures and tournaments on a regional and school’s football.
You will be responsible for the identification and recruitment of players that are of the required standard to progress within the Development Programme of Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C. Academy.
You will be expected to carry out your duties in line with the scout’s code of conduct and the rules and regulations of the Premier League/ Football Association.
• Gain a detailed understanding of the Academy player profiles and age group succession plans to highlight recruitment priorities across the 6-14 age groups.
• Identify players to Wolves Academy based on recruitment priorities, for Development Centre, Academy and Pre-Academy
• Weekly Communication with the Head of Local Recruitment
• Communicate effectively with the Head of Local Recruitment and Pre-Academy Recruitment Officer about all prospective trialists and key players for U7-U14
• Proactively seek out fixtures to attend.
• Attend games in the region based on recruitment priorities.
• Ensure all reports are uploaded to relevant platforms.
• Build contacts within the area your covering, grassroots clubs, schools and Private Academies
• Maintain a database of player details at all required levels.
• Build contacts with staff at clubs in your region to ensure you are notified of their key players and to ensure clubs are aware of players who are being released from Wolves.
• Have a good relationship with other Local Academy Scouts to share and build information
• To ensure that all qualifications are re-validated as required.
• Submit expenses/mileage, along with all relevant receipts, one week before the payroll cut-off date each month.
• Attendance of all internal and external personal development training required by WWFC, Premier League and Football Association.
• Be an ambassador of the W.O.L.V.E.S culture and philosophy.
• Compliance with Club policies
• Compliance with the Club’s health and safety procedures
• Compliance with the Club’s safeguarding policies
• To promote the Club’s values of progressive, humble, determined, bright and unified
• To work consistently to embed equality & diversity into the Club
• To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably expected
• To maintain professional conduct at all times
This role carries a specific safeguarding responsibility. This means that the post-holder is required to apply all relevant policies and uphold the Club’s commitment to safeguarding vulnerable people.
• Head of Local Recruitment
• Local Academy Scouts
• Head of Academy Recruitment
• Pre-Academy Recruitment Officer