Columbus Crew is seeking an Academy Performance Coach / Assistant Coach to work with, and assist, the Academy Technical and Performance staff. This position based in Columbus, OH and requires frequent travel (domestic and international). This unique role will require an individual who is interested and enthusiastic about the dual functions (50/50) of both coaching and performance and have the ability to contribute effectively to both spaces. Due to the composition of this position, the individual needs to value strong working relationships and enjoy working with multiple stakeholders. In performing the underlined duties, the Academy Assistant Coach/Performance Coach will play a key supporting role in the successful implementation of the Academy’s mission and One Club mantra. The candidate will also have a vital role in the development, and monitoring, of professional soccer players within Columbus Crew.
- Assist in the organization and supervision of players for Academy matches and training sessions.
- Assist in the design and execution of daily team training sessions.
- Assist in the implementation of small group supplemental training sessions for players.
- Assist in the execution and monitoring and of player Individual Developmental Plans
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the Academy Head Coach, Director of Player Development.
- Ensure unified approach and One Club philosophy.
- Develop and deliver team, small group, and individual warmups in collaboration with coaching staff to meet demands of the training session.
- Develop and deliver team, small group, and individual team gym sessions consistent with appropriate periodization.
- Deliver player physical testing, data collection/organization and analysis in collaboration with the Manager of Performance, Player Development.
- Collaborate with Manager of Performance, Player Development in building appropriate physical periodization to match technical demands of the coaching staff.
- Develop and deliver appropriate functional return to play sessions in collaboration with Manager of Performance, Player Development and academy medical staff.
- Assist the Performance department on club strategic projects such as the Kitman Project when needed.
- Other related tasks as assigned by the Manager of Performance, Player Development and the Director of Player Development.
- Comply with all club and league medical policies, protocol, and Game Operations Manual.
- U.S. Soccer C’ License or foreign equivalent preferred
- Minimum of 2 years coaching experience at Academy or equivalent level
- Working knowledge of appropriate performance technologies (GPS, force plate, athlete management systems, etc)
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a high performing environment.
- Available to travel when necessary and work evenings, weekends, and holidays with some irregular hours.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office products, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science, (or related field), required.
- Strength and Conditioning certification (CSCS or equivalent), required.
- First AID and CPR, preferred.
Demands & Unique Criteria
- Ability to work technically both on the field and in the office.
- Enthusiasm for continued learning is extremely important.
- Ability to think quickly and act with diligence and speed while utilizing an attention to detail.
- Ability to collaborate in a team environment.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to actively listen.
- Detail-oriented and critical thinking.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.