Job Summary and Objectives:
To help maintain and prepare the playing surfaces to an excellent standard and ensure that all games and training sessions can go ahead on schedule.
This is a 2-year apprenticeship working to the Level 2 Sports Turf Operative Standard.
The position is 35 hours per week, with allocated time for training (20% of time). Shift patterns will vary and will include early mornings and some weekend working.
This is a fixed term contract with the potential to transition into a permanent Assistant Groundsperson upon successful completion of the apprenticeship.
The purpose of the Apprentice Groundsperson is to learn, develop, and support the delivery of the ground’s maintenance practices to an excellent standard.
The Apprentice Grounds Person must be keen to learn and progress, developing a very good understanding of and carrying out the daily routines surrounding good pitch management and everything that entails.
Willingness to work outdoors and in all weathers.
1. Assist the grounds team to maintain and prepare the playing surfaces to an excellent standard, ensuring that matches and training sessions can go ahead on schedule.
2. To be trained in safe operations of equipment and machinery used in grounds maintenance.
3. Ensure all machinery is cleaned and safely stored after use.
4. Loading, transporting, and storing equipment and materials safely.
5. To have a flexible approach to working hours. Due to the requirements of the Club, working hours may change on a regular basis and the successful candidate will need to be available to work on any day of the week within their hours of work.
6. When dealing with customers/clients/members of the public, to uphold high standards of customer care and promote the image of QPR FC.
7. Demonstrate consistently high communication skills with customers, suppliers, and colleagues.
8. Club uniform and PPE will be provided by the Club which must be worn on duty.
9. Participate in the appraisal process.
10. Comply with all company policies/procedures. Adhere to all company regulations regarding policies, procedures, safeguarding, health, safety, and security.
11. All other duties that may arise from time to time and fall within the scope of this position.
• The ideal candidate must be keen to learn, enjoy a challenge, honest, hardworking, reliable, and have a keen interest in sportsground maintenance and landscaping.
• An ability to work effectively in a team and independently.
• Willingness to work outdoors and in all weathers
• Ability to work as part of a small team
• Able to accept and carry out instructions in connection with the role
• Candidates will be screened as part of the recruitment process and must be able to work at Level 1 in Functional Skills (maths and English) in order to undertake this Apprenticeship
• The ideal candidate must be keen to learn, enjoy a challenge, be honest, hardworking, reliable, personable and have a keen interest in Grounds and landscaping
Please note that candidates with any qualification at Level 4 or above, including unit credits, are ineligible for funding and will not be considered for an Apprenticeship scheme.
• Any experience of working outdoors in landscaping, gardening, etc would be an advantage.
As a small and tight knit QPR grounds maintenance team, QPR recognise the need for all staff to work in a multi-disciplinary manner to encourage personal development and build team spirit to enable the Club and other parts of the company to achieve its objectives.
This job description is intended as a guide to the main responsibilities and is not intended to restrict any individual in the performance of other duties as required by the Company.