Wigan Athletic Football Club is looking to recruit a Senior Academy Physiotherapist to lead the assessment, treatment, and rehabilitation of injuries for academy players, within the Professional Development Phase and Youth Development Phase.
Working hours: Varied, including Evenings and Weekends
Contract type: Permanent Full Time
- Leading the Physiotherapy cover for the school release program for the U15-U16s players and assist the Head of Sports Science & Medicine with the Under 18’s & Under 23’s squad players.
- Providing physiotherapy cover for under 18 and under 23 training sessions based at Christopher Park & Stadium Way.
- Providing match day cover for matches concerning the above age group
- Assessing, treating, and rehabilitating players through all stages of rehabilitation.
- Working in collaboration with Academy sports science staff on end stage rehabilitation programmes with injured players.
- Completing specific strength, power, and proprioception work as well as field-based rehabilitation for return to play.
- Following the appropriate treatment programme for players and provide records of those treatments via an online records system (PMA).
- Working closely with the Academy Coaches to keep them fully informed on the treatments, rehabilitation programmes and fitness of players within the age group.
- Communicating effectively with all members of the team (Coaches, Strength & Conditioners etc.) regarding squad availability, injury status and rehabilitation progress.
- Assisting with the provision of injury prevention screening and strategies.
- Accompanying academy players and other WAFC players (when required) to consultations and investigations.
- Working in collaboration with all members of the medical and sport science department across the Academy and first team to promote best practice and contribute to department CPD sessions.
- Accurately recording medical notes via our online system in keeping with CSP standards and completing weekly injury reports.
The successful candidate will:
- BSc degree in Physiotherapy.
- Health and Care Professions council (HCPC) registered.
- Member of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists (MCSP).
- Current ATMMiF First Aid Qualification.
- Demonstrable clinical experience.
- Experience of working with young athletes, preferably in professional football.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Evidence of an ongoing CPD portfolio and commitment to continuous professional development
- Ability to use the PMA on-line system for medical documentation.
- Strong anatomy and physiological knowledge.
- Good understanding of stages of rehabilitation and exercise progression and how to apply them.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to adapt and take on new initiatives.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
- Ability to plan and organise work effectively.
- Strong team working skills.
- Flexible to meet the requirements of the needs of the business.
- Willingness to learn and continuously develop.
- Willingness and ability to travel to different sites.