Charlton Athletic Football Club is an English professional association football club based in Charlton, south-east London. The club was founded on June 9th, 1905 and has a very storied history from rising to the top-flight of English Football in the 1930s (First Division) and again in the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s, to winning the FA Cup in 1947 and to leaving their Valley home in the mid-1980s only to make an impassioned return in 1992. Historically, the women's team played under Charlton Athletic from 2000 to 2007 but were released to become an independently run team in 2007 following the men's team's relegation from the Premier League.
The women's team were originally formed as a non-professional team in 1991 and were highly successful in the early 2000s winning The FA Cup, the League Cup, and the Charity Shield, as well as coming runners-up in the top division in multiple seasons. In February 2021, the club acquired the Charlton Athletic Women's team, turning the team full-time professional, and integrating them to become one club again.
Currently, our men's first team competes in League One, the third tier of English football, and our women's team competes in the Women’s Championship, the second highest division of women's football in England. At Charlton, we are ‘one club’ and can be truly described as a ‘family club’.
To assist the grounds staff, working as part of a team to maintain and prepare the playing surfaces to an excellent standard to ensure that games can go ahead on schedule and to maintain the surrounding areas of The Valley and Training Ground to the same high standard as required by the business.
- Undertake routine preparation and maintenance work in relation to playing surfaces as assigned by the Head Groundsman. Undertake all preparatory and cultivation work to maintain safe quality playing surfaces;
- Initial marking out and setting up of playing surfaces to a high standard undertaking all duties to ensure the best possible results are achieved;
- The safe use and operation of equipment and machinery used in grounds maintenance;
- Inform the head groundsman and where instructed, take corrective action on mechanical defects or breakdown of equipment;
- At all times adhere to high standards in relation to Health and Safety upholding the company policy in this respect
- Ensure work area is kept clean, tidy and secure at all times;
- Undertake general grounds maintenance tasks in relation to the playing surface and surrounding areas
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, colleagues and end users
- When dealing with customers/clients/public uphold high standards of customer care and attention at all times promoting the image of the Company.
- General Ground Maintenance Contribute to the upkeep/presentation of the site including verges, hedges & off-pitch areas
- Mowing - Regular mowing of training areas/pitches using a variety of mowing equipment;
- Aeration, Brushing, Seeding etc - Use of tractor units & utility vehicles with a wide range of attachments utilised for turf care maintenance;
- Marking out - To set-out & over mark pitches & pre-determined areas ready for play/training;
- Reinstatement Divotting - Divot repair work following play/training;
- Irrigation - Set-up & use both travelling & automated irrigation systems;
- Fertilizing - Apply appropriate sports turf granular fertilizer as directed as part of an annual nutritional programme;
- Matchday prep - Set-up goals, flags, etc. for scheduled matches at Development Squad & Academy levels or as otherwise directed;
- Artificial surface maintenance - Regular brushing/grooming 3G artificial surfaces using specialised equipment;
- Goal equipment- Assist in the checking, maintenance & building of goal equipment in-readiness for the new season.
- A sound educational record to GCSE level (or equivalent) (E);
- NVQ Level 2 in Green keeping & Sports turf Management (E);
- Team Player (E)
- Enthusiastic (E)
- Ability to adapt to change and work under pressure (E)
- Willingness to work outdoors and in all weathers (E)
- Able to accept and carryout instructions (E)
- This a full time role that includes work on weekends and evenings (negotiable);
- Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK;
- Charlton Athletic FC is committed to following relevant health & safety regulations and all members of staff are expected
- to be fully aware and adhere to, at all times, the Club’s H&S and fire safety procedures;
- Charlton Athletic Football Club are fully committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment;
- CAFC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, color, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Charlton Athletic Football Club are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk. The successful candidate may be required to undertake a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS). The possession of a criminal record will not necessarily prevent an applicant from obtaining a post, as all cases are mediated individually according to the nature of the role and the information provided.