PLACEMENT TITLE: Academy Sport Scientist U13-U14’s PhD Bursary (studying towards PhD)
DEPARTMENT: Medical and Exercise Science
REPORTS TO: Head of Sport Science / Head of High Performance/ Academy Manager- Football
LOCATION: Sir Jack Hayward Training Ground, additional travel may be required
DATE: May 2023
We are Wolves. Progressive, determined, bright, unified and humble. A pack that is hungry for
success. Wolves is one of the fastest growing professional football clubs in the UK, and also boasts
one of the richest histories in the beautiful game.
Formed in 1877, Wolves was a founder member of the Football League, and was one of the country’s
most successful sides in the fifties and sixties. During a two decade spell the Black Country’s most
decorated side won three First Division titles and one of its four FA Cups.Fast forward to 2022, three seasons at Molineux saw Wolves
clinch the Sky Bet Championship trophy
with 99 points, followed by a seventh-place finish in the Premier League, which included memorable
wins over Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and Arsenal. The next season saw the
team complete a memorable double over the reigning champions, equal the previous season’s
seventh place finish and reach the quarter finals of the Europa League all as part of the ‘longest season’
in league history, either starting before or finishing after all other teams.
But this post is about not what we have done, but what we will achieve next.
We take seriously our commitment to the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults and to
ensuring that Wolves is free from discrimination and harassment.
To deliver and monitor on-field physical conditioning and gym-based Strength and Conditioning support services to Foundation & Youth players at Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club. This placement is to support university study towards a recognised qualification in the Sports Science field working in partnership with the University of Wolverhampton.
• Deliver ‘Strength and Conditioning’ related sessions to a range of different abilities and age groups.
• Plan and coach warm up sessions that include a speed, agility or plyometric element to youth football players.
• Implement systematic physiological (laboratory and field-based) and anthropometric testing periods for a range of age groups within the academy and analyse the data from these testing periods.
• Provide match day support that includes warm ups and cool downs.
• Plan and implement player-specific conditioning programs for players at the end stages of rehabilitation.
• Assist in the formulation and delivery of injury prevention programmes.
• Provide regular oral and written reports at appropriate meetings associated with the Strength and Conditioning support (athlete programme design, athlete attendance and adherence, test and monitoring reports, programme overview, review and updates).
• Initiate and contribute to special projects that are part of the wider development of the medical and exercise science department at the football club.
• Oversee and lead Internship development.
• To complete 6-8 weekly multi-disciplinary reviews for each player, providing short, medium and long term action points.
• Completion of the training register for all players, including session and player evaluation of training within 24 hours on the online management tool (PMA).
• Monitor training load through GPS; analyse data and report back to coaching staff and physiotherapists post training.
• Oversee movement preparation sessions to players in the youth phase.
• Conduct research to compliment the work being completed as part of placement and in support of study towards qualification.
• Compliance with Club policies
• Compliance with the Club’s health and safety procedures
• Compliance with the Club’s safeguarding policies
• To promote the Club’s values
• To work consistently to embed equality & diversity into the Club
• To maintain professional conduct at all times
• This role carries a specific safeguarding responsibility. This means that the post-holder is required to apply all relevant policies and uphold the Club’s commitment to safeguarding vulnerable people.
• Head of Sports Science, Academy Manager- Football and the Head of High Performance
• Head of Coach Development.
• Members of the Foundation Phase Multi-Disciplinary Team.
• Foundation Phase Recruitment Staff.
• Football Administration Department.
• Academy staff in support of each players development.
• To ensure positive relationships with players, parents and host families.
Scope of placement
• This placement and the studentship will involve times to suit the football schedule which will include some evenings, weekends and bank holidays.