POSITION: TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
LOCATION: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
REPORTS TO: Owner / CEO
TERM: Full-time Permanent
SALARY: A competitive and commensurate contract based on experience.
VIP SPORTS is a professionally managed multidiscipline club designed to challenge, inspire, and provide opportunities to youth athletes. VIP SPORTS | BC Surf Soccer Club, is based in beautiful British Columbia and specializes in the development of focused athletes. As an official partner of perennial powerhouse Surf Soccer, based in the USA, we benefit from a collaborative approach amongst the 34 Surf Soccer clubs across North America. The partnership with Surf Soccer provides a wealth of world class resources and opportunities for our coaches, players, and our club.
The Technical Director position is a key leadership role within our organization. The successful applicant will be responsible for the technical investment in its player base, with an emphasis on youth player development. Core to the role is the creation and implementation of the organization’s Technical Development Plan that will outline the organization’s commitment to the development of
its players, coaches, and referees.
This full-time, permanent position reports to the Owner/CEO, provides technical and strategic executive leadership, while managing the overall technical budget. Duties and Responsibilities include but not limited to:
• Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and professional efficiencies.
• Recruit, develop and directly manage the performance of coaches, coaching staff and technical matters of the organization.
• Manage and facilitate education and development opportunities for the organization’s coaches.
• Act as the chief spokesperson for the organization on technical development matters, including external liaisons with governing bodies.
• Through a contracted staff, oversee their progress to recruit and develop the organization’s core base of members, players, and referees while directly managing referee development.
• Align organizations programs to the governing body to provide a clearly defined player pathway that offers all streams of soccer.
• Establish partnerships with universities, colleges and other organizations to drive the progression of the organization’s top soccer talent to a higher level.
• Work with local schools to develop soccer and promote the organization’s Technical Program.
• Build on the organization’s existing development program base to create full annual development program(s), which address short, mid, and long-term objectives.
• Establish structured, program-wide, skills testing and other program quality management initiatives, as needed.
• A proven and sound understanding of the business principles and structures of youth sport.
• 10+ years of experience within the game, including playing and coaching.
• Professional playing and coaching experience a plus.
• Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) B License required; Higher licensing qualifications preferred.
• Completion of Stages 1 to 3 of the Community Coach Stream as set out by the BC Soccer Association / CSA.
• Commitment to achieve CSA Children and/or Youth License within one year of appointment.
• Knowledge of and support for the Canadian Soccer Association’s Long Term Player Development (LTPD) model, encompassing those principles into the design of club’s youth development program, including an enhanced training component.
• An understanding of the CSA’s youth soccer competition structure which is provided through the three steams (Recreational, competitive, performance).
• Knowledge of the professional and university soccer landscape required.
• Strong relationships across the youth soccer industry in Canada.
• Bilingual: English & French proficiency a plus but not required.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with team members, executives, member clubs, and external partners.
• Ability to work independently in a multi-faceted, fast, fluid, and deadline-driven environment.
• Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must.
• Ability to work as business needs require which may include long days, evenings, weekends, occasional holidays, and travel if/when necessary.
• Technical Director must be a team player with an ability to operate as part of an integrated multi-functional management team.
• Present monthly Technical Reports to Owner/CEO.
• As part of BC Surf’s Staff Management Team, contribute to meeting and reporting requirements of the Advisory Committee and its Sub-committees Competencies & Skills Required.
• Completion of a Child Abuse Registry Check and Criminal Record Check are required as a condition of employment.
• Proficient skills and experience in Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook).
• Technical Director will be required to work flexible hours which will include evenings and some weekends, and travel will be required.
• Must hold a Valid Provincial Driver’s License.
• Must have authorization work in Canada.
The successful candidate will be expected to commence duties on location in the first half 2023.