Overview of the Position
Juan de Fuca Soccer Club was created in 1967 and has grown into one of the largest soccer clubs on Vancouver Island that serves 2500+ members in the Westshore area of Victoria. We offer programming for all levels from ages 3 years to our over 40’s program. The Technical Director position is the senior technical leader within the Juan de Fuca Soccer Club that reports directly to the Juan de Fuca Soccer Club President and Board of Directors and is responsible for the Club's overall technical leadership, development, and direction.
The Technical Director is accountable for the Club’s day-to-day management of soccer development for all players, as well as coaching development, all in alignment with the Canada Soccer Association Long Term Player and Coach Development principles. A proven track record in the development of grass roots and competitive soccer programs is required. This full time position's accountabilities and duties will require a flexible work week and/or workday with nights and weekends needed to achieve the desired goals and objectives of the position.
A key aspect of the position is the ongoing implementation of Juan de Fuca Soccer Club’s Strategic Plan and Vision for Technical Excellence. This position also includes the management of the club’s overall technical budget and the direction of the Club’s technical contractors.
Qualifications / Skill Set
• Canada Soccer Association B licence, Canada Soccer Association Youth licence, and Canada Soccer Association Children licence.Equivalent experience may be considered.
• Has demonstrated ability to develop and coach players of various ages with a focus on equity, diversity and inclusion
• Passion for the sport of soccer
• Extensive experience implementing and overseeing a technical development program
• Ability to multitask, good interpersonal skills, respectful of all players, parents and club partners
The Technical Director reports to the Club President and Board of Directors and works closely with the Juan de Fuca Executive Director and Juan de Fuca Technical Committee.
The Technical Director supervises
• Juan de Fuca Senior Technical Coaching Personnel
• Juan de Fuca Junior Technical Coaching Personnel
The Technical Director liaises with
• Juan de Fuca Soccer player and parent community
• Lower Island Soccer Association
• British Columbia Soccer Association
• Local Pro, Semi Pro and Youth Tier 1 Clubs
• Canadian Soccer Association
Salary and Benefits
• To be determined and discussed with prospective candidates
• Support the Executive Director in the development and implementation of the Club’s Strategic Plan (Technical) in conjunction with the Board of Directors
• Establish critical priorities and objectives to guide the Club’s long-term future
• Exemplify the Club's values and governing principles, demonstrate integrity and set ethical standards
• Actively lead, promote and represent the Club’s technical development vision and underlying philosophy within Juan de Fuca membership, club partners and governing bodies and leagues
• Oversee the Club’s involvement in all aspects of Lower Island Soccer technical programming and any related league competition platforms current or under development
Technical Programs - Coaching Development
• Recruit, develop, strengthen, motivate and oversee the management and performance of the Club’s complement of paid and volunteer technical contractors
• Directly manage the education and development of the Club’s volunteer coaches
• Develop and implement an effective performance management system for the Club’s technical contractors
• Ensure clear accountability framework is in place to meet the needs and targets of the Juan de Fuca Technical Committee
• Enable a strong, positive morale among technical contractors to ensure a high level of commitment to their roles.
Technical Programs - Player Development
• Build on our existing development program structure to create a best-in-class development program for the club’s members
• Establish structured, program-wide quality management targets and initiatives
• Oversee technical leadership efforts to create equity, diversity and inclusion in the player development streams within the Club
• Work with the Club’s Executive Director and Technical Committee to further develop the player assessment process
•Identify elite players within the club with a focus on creating awareness of their options
• In cooperation with the Executive Director and Juan de Fuca Treasurer, establish and maintain a budget for technical coach remuneration and education.
• Complete other tasks that would reasonably fall into the Technical Director portfolio, as directed by the Club President and/or Juan de Fuca Technical Committee.