United Soccer League
Job Title: Operations Manager – USL Academy
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Tampa, FL (USL Headquarters)
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
The United Soccer League (USL) is shaping the future of soccer in America. We are the nation’s largest and fastest-growing professional soccer organization, bringing the world’s game to more and more communities across the United States and Canada. Based in Tampa, Fla., the USL oversees multiple professional and elite pre-professional leagues, including the USL Championship, USL Super League, USL League One, USL League Two, USL W League, USL Academy, and Super Y League.
We are authentic to the spirit of the game, honoring the dedication of the players, the passion of the supporters, and the culture of the clubs. We believe in the power of soccer to unite people, provide unique life experiences, and have a meaningful impact in local communities. We work as a team, challenge the status quo, and strive to make everyone feel welcome.
United Soccer League is the proud recipient of Front Office Sports' Best Employers in Sports 2021 and Tampa Bay Business Journal's Coolest Office Spaces.
United Soccer League is seeking an Operations Manager – USL Academy who can take USL and club properties to the next level of growth at a revolutionary time for the organization. The Operations Manager – USL Academy is responsible for overseeing the preparation, management & execution of all operations associated with our USL Academy competitions, and any other special events tied to United Soccer League’s player & coach development initiatives. Given the importance of the USL Academy platform to our clubs & League Office, it is critical that this individual is able to deliver a high-standard body of work, ensuring a professional & memorable experience for teams, players, & coaches attending any events under their responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
USL Academy Competitions & Operations: Manage short & long-term operational needs for USL Academy competitions & special events, including but not limited to the following:
- Organize & maintain a detailed critical dates planning calendar, involving internal & external constituents as needed.
- Secure & maintain all necessary equipment & signage.
- Lead all scheduling construction & updating processes.
- Coordinate with all referees, athletic trainers, hotel providers, vendors, sponsors, partners, and other outside contractors.
- Facilitate all necessary communications to participating clubs/teams.
- Track all expenses & manage P&L statements.
USL Academy Membership Services: Serve a point of contact within USL League Office for all USL Academy members, ensuring the following:
- Provide clubs assistance with administrative & operational tasks tied to participation in USL Academy competitions.
- Work with internal staff to deliver league-wide communications, ensuring all members are aware of key processes, updates, and requirements.
- Build rapport & strengthen relationships with key stakeholders at each club.
USL Academy Player & Coach Registration: oversee registration process for all players & staff associated with USL Academy competitions. Associated tasks could include:
- Liaise with US Soccer for international registrations, ITC requests, etc.
- Register & administer background checks for all staff in USLA competitions.
- Manage SportsEngine registration portal.
- Report on all roster compliance & registration issues.
- Provide customer service to clubs (troubleshoot registration).
Special Projects – Technical Development: assist with special projects tied to key player, coach, and youth development initiatives for USL-HQ (incl. but not limited to data collection, market research, presentation support, etc.).
- Related Support: Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Sport Management, Event Management, or related field.
- 3-5+ years of experience organizing sporting competitions, tournaments, and/or events, ideally with expertise in overseeing all aspects of hosting soccer tournaments/events.
- Knowledge and/or prior working experience utilizing registration platforms and facilitating US Soccer registration guidelines and processes preferred.
- Organized & autonomous work habits, both independently, and within a team setting.
- Proven problem-solving skills, and ability to manage stress while adjusting on the fly.
- Ability to institute & maintain all necessary safety/health protocols, ensuring a safe and enjoyable experience at all associated events.
- Understanding of budget management and financial reporting, tied to event management.
- Capacity to improve operations and general logistics in an effort to drive efficiency and limit overall expenses tied to hosting professional-level events.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with team members, executives, member clubs, and external partners.
- Ability to work independently in a multi-faceted, fast, fluid, and deadline-driven environment.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must.
- While not required, significant interest, passion, and/or experience within soccer highly preferred.
- Ability to work as business needs require which may include long days, evenings, weekends, occasional holidays, and travel if / when necessary.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
We have great Perks
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Health HSA and FSA
- Corporate Discounts
- Paid Vacation, Holiday & Sick Days
- Business Casual Dress
- Casual Dress Fridays
- And More!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.