ABOUT OUR COMPANY
Philadelphia was awarded the 16th Major League Soccer franchise in February, 2008 and the team was officially announced as the Philadelphia Union in May, 2009. Owned and operated by Keystone Sports and Entertainment LLC (“KSE”), the group launched the Philadelphia Union's inaugural season in 2010 and opened what is now Subaru Park in June, 2010. Subaru Park is an 18,500 seat, world-class soccer specific stadium that sits beautifully along the Delaware River at the base of the Commodore Barry Bridge and is only 15 miles from downtown Philadelphia. The club has reached the finals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in 2014, 2015 and 2018, and has appeared in the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2011, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, and hosted the Eastern Conference Final in 2021. In 2020, the Union were awarded the club’s first Supporters’ Shield after finishing with the best regular season record in MLS.
Philadelphia Union’s culture and brand positioning of Young, Fearless, Challengers differentiates us from others and focuses our vision to be unafraid and defy the ordinary. KSE is relentlessly pursuing excellence both on and off the field and will lead the way, set the standards and share the glory. Our connection to Philadelphia is symbolized in the Club’s crest as the snake, colors, shield, slogan and thirteen stars all represent Philadelphia as the original capital city and its call to action during the American Revolution.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The General Counsel’s primary responsibilities will be to provide legal support, advice and counsel for Keystone Sports and Entertainment LLC. Reporting to the President, the General Counsel plays an essential role in mitigating risk and providing legal counsel across this fast-paced, growing organization and its subsidiaries. This role will be a member of senior leadership. The ideal candidate will be ready to assist in all aspects of the legal function, including transactional, regulatory, compliance and advising, and occasional oversight of outside counsel for litigation matters.
- Represent Keystone Sports and Entertainment LLC on all legal matters for Philadelphia Union, Philadelphia Union II, Philadelphia Union Academy, Subaru Park and the Union Power Plant office building and surrounding campus.
- Manage and supervise litigation, arbitration, mediation and grievance proceedings in which the company and its subsidiaries are involved.
- Work closely with the following departments on legal documents and issues: Finance, Human Resources, Marketing, Ticket Sales and Service, Corporate Sales and Service, Philadelphia Union Foundation and Stadium Operations.
- Prepare and review contracts and other legal documents, including sponsorship agreements, licensing agreements, service agreements and debt financing.
- Offer general business and legal advice to all departments on a wide variety of business efforts including trademark, litigation risks, sponsorship marketing and business agreements, employment and labor agreements, construction and repair agreements, purchasing of equipment and services; and agreements involving independent contractors
- Involvement in the establishment of internal policies and procedures related to human resources, employee guides and manuals, compliance with internal policies, League policies, and governmental policies
- Conducts contract audits and policy audit reviews to assure organization is in compliance with applicable laws.
- Advise on major business transactions and assist with negotiation of business agreements.
- Manage outside counsel on legal matters.
- Provide legal guidance on matters with real estate, leasing, and property acquisition.
- Manage relationship with insurance broker for all lines of coverage relating to the Company, Union Power Plant office building and surrounding campus.
- Keep record of Corporate documents, meeting minutes, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by President and Executive Vice President & COO
- Law degree from ABA accredited university.
- Licensed Attorney registered with the State Bar of Pennsylvania.
- Sports law and labor law experience highly preferred.
- Prior experience in working for a professional sports organization highly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral business communication skills.
- Strong contract drafting, negotiating and issue-spotting skills.
- Ability to make recommendations for business decisions based on reasoned legal analysis and the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and engage with multiple stakeholders in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- High level of commitment to quality work product and organizational ethics and integrity.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with team members, executives, ownership, and external partners.
- Ability to work as business needs require which may include long days, evenings, weekends, occasional holidays, and travel if/when necessary.
- Must possess U.S. work authorization not requiring sponsorship by the employer.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, vision, Rx and dental coverage, an employer-matched 401(k) plan, Life Insurance, Disability, merchandise discount, 24/7 Fitness Center, on-site café, and much more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.