United Soccer League
Job Title: Director, Communications & Public Relations (USL Championship)
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Tampa, FL (USL Headquarters)
Overview of the United Soccer League (USL)
The United Soccer League (USL) is shaping the future of soccer in America. We are the nation’s largest and fastest-growing professional soccer organization, bringing the world’s game to more and more communities across the United States and Canada. Based in Tampa, Fla., the USL oversees multiple professional and elite pre-professional leagues, including the USL Championship, USL Super League, USL League One, USL League Two, USL W League, USL Academy, and Super Y League.
We are authentic to the spirit of the game, honoring the dedication of the players, the passion of the supporters, and the culture of the clubs. We believe in the power of soccer to unite people, provide unique life experiences, and have a meaningful impact in local communities. We work as a team, challenge the status quo, and strive to make everyone feel welcome.
United Soccer League is the proud recipient of Front Office Sports' Best Employers in Sports 2021 and Tampa Bay Business Journal's Coolest Office Spaces.
The Director of Communications & Public Relations will serve as the primary link between USL HQ and USL Championship club communications departments. As the primary liaison for all Championship level clubs, this position will maintain constant contact with their club counterparts, staying abreast of all relevant club activities, including but not limited to upcoming media projects, player and technical staff announcements, corporate sponsorships, crises, upcoming events, philanthropic activities, and community projects. As the bridge between the league office and the clubs, the Director of Communications & Public Relations will be tasked with identifying areas where the league office can support and amplify club activities, assist with logistical needs, and provide strategic consultation and issues management support when needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Act as the primary bridge between club communications contacts and the USL HQ Communications team.
- Serve as a communications consultant on all relevant issues for each of the league’s Championship clubs.
- Act as liaison with clubs on official team announcements, and ensure stories are posted in a timely fashion in support of the club’s activation.
- Create and distribute internal communications to clubs to allow for consistent messaging between the league and teams and make teams aware of potential upcoming news from the league.
- Serve as the main point of contact for team inquiries regarding the announcement of player signings and transactions, working alongside USL registration to ensure paperwork has been adequately filed for announcements to take place.
- Be the primary driver of media coverage for the USL Championship through existing and newly established relationships with major outlets.
- Provide editorial and communications coverage on game nights, as part of a team in rotation throughout the season.
- Prioritize and communicate all relevant upcoming club-related projects/issues to the Sr. Vice President of Communications & Public Relations and Executives.
- Assist with organizational communications strategy and execution.
- Assist in the creation of both internal and league-wide messaging documents.
- Serve, when necessary, as a secondary spokesperson for the USL Championship.
- Organize and conduct regular league-wide conference calls and informational training sessions.
- Conduct interviews in the private and public (e.g., on Instagram Live) domain.
- Generate earned media and sentiment reports for USL HQ properties and clubs using media/PR reporting tools.
- Draft and send USL Championship email communications, including Fan Newsletters and Press Releases.
- Act as support for expansion communications, meeting regularly with USL Championship and USL League One expansion clubs to provide public relations strategies and lay communications groundwork for the market.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned, to include involvement with other USL Leagues as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Sports Management, Journalism, or related field or equivalent experience/combined education.
- 5-7 years of professional communications & public relations experience.
- 3-4 years of media relations experience.
- Prior experience with club communications within a professional soccer league is a strong plus.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills.
- History of strong professional relationship building.
- Bilingual capabilities in English and Spanish preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with team members, executives, member clubs, and external partners.
- Ability to work independently in a multi-faceted, fast, fluid, and deadline-driven environment.
- Positive attitude and strong work ethic a must.
- Ability to work as business needs require which may include long days, evenings, weekends, occasional holidays, and travel if / when necessary.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
We have great Perks - Comprehensive Benefits Package • Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance • Health HSA and FSA • 401k w/ up to 6% match • Corporate Discounts • Paid Vacation, Holiday & Sick Days • Business Casual Dress • Casual Dress Fridays • And More!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.