U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and by supporting members, impacting athletes, and serving fans. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
The Vice President, Inclusion & Engagement will be responsible for developing and implementing the diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy for the U.S. Soccer Federation with the Chief People & Diversity Officer (CPDO). Primarily, this position will provide thought leadership through research and best practices for organizational diversity, equity, inclusion, and engagement. This role will work closely with the CPDO to ensure diversity, equity and inclusion is embedded throughout the organization. The VP, Inclusion and Engagement will support the CPDO in serving as a representative and liaison to membership and in the community to raise awareness on our programs, and to partner with various organizations, leagues and NGBs. This position will work very closely with leadership as well as People & Culture department. This position will work with the CPDO to develop DEI metrics to assess the climate of the organization, members, and community; assist in monitoring progress on the strategic plan and developing reports on progress; and ensure benchmarking and best practices are met in respect to diversity and inclusion.
- Assess the organization for needs related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Develop and implement DEI strategy that aligns with the organization’s objectives in collaboration with the CPDO.
- Provide leadership and development to direct reports.
- Develop and assess DEI education, training, and programming needs within the organization.
- Develop and conduct educational and training opportunities to raise awareness with a focus on appropriate communication and using good judgment.
- Develop programs for mentorship, employee resource groups (ERGs), conducting staff focus groups and the development of educational literature, guest speaker and cultural awareness programs.
- Develop, evaluate, and monitor DEI metrics to assess the climate of the organization.
- Manage annual operating budget for DEI&B initiatives and programs.
- Assess policies continuously to identify and remove any potential institutional barriers and bias.
- Ensure best practices are implemented in respect to diversity and inclusion.
- Produce reports to share with CPDO as well as key internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish strategic partnerships within the organization, with membership and the broader soccer community.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to ensure cohesive DEI messaging for content, marketing and social.
- Provide feedback and guidance to ensure the organization reflects commitment to diversity and inclusion that is in line with our strategy and principal values.
- Serves as an internal consultant to ensure that diversity and inclusion is a part of the decision-making process throughout the company.
- Execute the vision of the CPDO to be a leader in diversity, equity, and inclusion for the entire soccer eco-system.
- Collaborate with the People & Culture department on developing diverse pipelines for talent.
- Partner with other appropriate internal leaders and teams to advance the organization’s brand as it relates to social impact, targeted community sponsorships and supplier diversity programs.
- Strategically engage community agencies and look for ways to partner with them that will allow for greater organizational impact and involvement.
- Serve as liaison in collaboration with the CPDO for meetings and committees with USOPC, and other NGB committees.
- Serve as a resource for members, sharing best practices and developing content.
- Bachelor’s degree in Organization Development, Human Resources, or a related field.
- 8-10 years’ progressive diversity, equity, and inclusion experience, including leading strategy and change management.
- 4-5 years’ experience leading a team with an emphasis on development, accountability, and execution.
- Demonstrated success designing and delivering DEI strategies and programs across business.
- Demonstrated experience building rapport at all levels of the organization as well speaking publicly to various internal and external stakeholders.
- Expert understanding of DEI with demonstrated experience in designing and articulating a strategic vision and driving that vision throughout an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple priorities using resolution / problem solving skills and a team focus.
- Ability to positively influence all areas and levels of the business and organization without direct reporting relationships.
- Strong business acumen.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to present recommendations and proposals in a concise manner.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and can adapt to a variety of issues in a variety of settings.
- Creative and innovative approach to solving problems and resolving issues.
- In addition to the minimum qualifications,
- 10+ years’ experience in diversity, inclusion, and equity; business, human resources, social sciences or other related fields; Masters or Doctorate degree a plus.
- Prior experience in sports and entertainment, an affiliate-based organization or national governing body, is preferred.
- Results-oriented capability, high energy, and ability to quickly establish credibility.
- Willingness to take educated risks and challenge the status quo to bring about change when needed.
- Knowledge of developing and managing supplier diversity programs.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment; solid project management skills.
- Highest level of personal integrity to inspire confidence, respect, and trust.
- Comfortable interacting at all levels within the organization as well as engaging with various members of the community and membership.
- Established relationships within soccer, sports and national governing body landscape, a plus.
- Demonstrated on-going education in diversity, equity and inclusion (certificate programs, coursework, etc.)
- A recognized thought-leader on issues of diversity, inclusion, and engagement.
- Multi-lingual fluency, both verbal and written, a plus.
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
- Adopt a company centric approach—Serve the Athlete and the Fan
- Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
- Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
- Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
- Open to criticism and does not make excuses
- Possess a tireless work ethic
- Wants to be part of a team that wins
- Has the ability to be firm but fair
- Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
- Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills
- U.S. Soccer has mandated the Covid-19 vaccine and is requiring all staff to be fully vaccinated at the start of employment