The Portland Timbers and Thorns are looking for an experienced designer to help us take our marketing to the next level. You will lead our creative team, which supports the entire organization. You love collaborating with colleagues to gather insights and ensure whatever you help create will make the most business impact. You’re a fantastic listener, but you also offer a POV, with strong rationale to back it up. You have a passion for creative process improvement, so that you and your team can make the most strategic use of your time.
We need someone who cares about all of the details, and likes to roll up their sleeves. You’ll be guiding our creative team, but also diving into projects and coming up with ideas for a wide variety of initiatives. From social media graphics to billboard campaigns, we need someone who brings a deep appreciation for the nuances of different media and always steps into our audiences’ shoes. You also love writing, and working with writers, since you know the design and written word are inseparable parts of a great idea.
You will engage with a wide variety of team members across the organization, and report directly to the VP of Marketing. We’re a small but ambitious team. Help us create as much value as possible for our audiences. Help us break new ground. Help us win new fans. Help us fill the stadium. Help us win more championships.
- Lead the production of creative deliverables, including digital, print, and in-stadium assets
- Guide and nurture team members, including full-time, freelance, and interns, to grow and achieve creative excellence
- Mature and optimize the creative production process, in collaboration with our Sr. Graphic Designer, to ensure the team is making the most impact
- Steward the Timbers and Thorns brand guidelines and ensure we’re showing up in a consistent, authentic way across all touchpoints
- Develop and rapidly prototype compelling ideas in response to creative briefs, and hold brief writers accountable for clear guidance and objectives
- Help drive design direction for club merchandise
- Collaborate with external creative agencies on projects, as needed
- Passion for the Timbers, Thorns, and growing the game of soccer
- Love of Portland and bringing people together
- Highly collaborative team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Track record of bringing to life compelling ideas and top-notch designs that deliver results
- Extensive experience guiding team members to achieve creative excellence
- Experience identifying and implementing process improvement, including the use of technology/systems to manage projects
- Self-directed with ability to organize, prioritize, and own multiple tasks while meeting and/or exceeding deadlines
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum of 8 years of design experience, including demonstration of increased responsibility
- High proficiency in design tools, including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Sketch
- Agency experience preferred but not required
- Proficiency in motion graphics packages like Flash and After Effects preferred but not required
- Proficiency in web design and UX preferred but not required
- Propensity to lose your voice during a Timbers or Thorns game preferred but not required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.