With a direct reporting line to the Finance Director, the Financial Controller role will be primarily responsible for the delivery of corporate accounting, monthly financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation, as well as the development of internal control policies and procedures.
The successful candidate will be required to work closely with key stakeholders and departmental heads throughout the club.
A key focus will be on achieving integration synergy efficiencies and standardising systems and processes.
The Financial Controller role will form part of the finance team at the Football Club and will be responsible for the delivery of corporate accounting, monthly financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation, as well as the development of internal control policies and procedures and be a direct support to the Finance Director.
Specific job responsibilities:
Preparation of accounts
• Responsible for the preparation of timely and accurate monthly management accounts and reports for operational management including review of month end balance sheet reconciliations and control accounts
• Assist in the production of statutory accounts for the company in accordance with the relevant accounting principles and current legislation
• Play a full part in providing relevant & timely financial information to the Board and Departmental Heads to enable a balanced and objective assessment of the company’s position.
Budgets and forecasts
• Assist in the preparation of budgets, forecasts and business plans and continued monitoring & review of performance against them to enable robust reporting of variances to the Board and to Departmental Heads
Financial management & controls
• Effectively manage the day to day working capital components of the company with specific attention to debtors, creditors, and cash balances
• Active management of departmental overheads whilst seeking out areas for efficiencies for savings
• Overseeing monthly processing of payroll and expense payments to employees
• Review and update, in line with good practice, the company’s internal control environment
• Support the Finance Director in the development and execution of the company’s taxation strategy
• Ensure returns for Corporation tax, VAT and other relevant taxes are submitted, payments made on time and all relevant regulations are complied with
Take a lead role in the implementation of new accounting software (yet to be identified)
Effectively supervise, motivate, and develop the Finance dept on a day-to-day basis Assist in the implementation of a change management culture by challenging & replacing established processes and procedures where necessary
Support the Finance Director in managing relationships with auditors, tax advisers, bankers, and other parties as appropriate
Health & Safety
Promote a safe working environment ensuring good housekeeping in all areas of your responsibility. Ensure your invited contractors and third parties are aware of their Health & Safety responsibilities when on site.
The position requires excellent accounting software and administration skills with strong knowledge of accounting principles and procedures. Chartered Accountant qualification is preferred, or an equivalent qualification with a minimum of 5 years of overall combined accounting and finance experience (minimum 2 years post qualification) would be desirable.
The ideal candidate will have experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/ year end close process and creating financial statements.
Experience and knowledge of the football industry would be beneficial although not essential.
Qualified Accountant (2 years post qualification) (CA/ACCA/CIMA)
• Advanced Excel skills
• Excellent communication skills at all levels of a business
• Self-motivated to deliver under pressure and to specific deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Proactive approach to business partnering
• High levels of integrity and resilience
• Excellent presentation and reporting skills, able to deliver relevant reports and analysis succinctly and clearly