U.S. Soccer Overview
We are U.S. Soccer and we are the future of sport in the United States. Our mission is to make soccer the preeminent sport in the United States. We embrace diversity, technology and global connections to drive the growth of our sport and serve our athletes and fans. We seek motivated, passionate, skilled people who can think, create and work on a team.
U.S. Soccer is a growing company that looks for team members to grow with it. U.S. Soccer offers a comprehensive compensation package, casual work environment, an inclusive culture and an atmosphere for professional development.
The Federation’s core principles set organization-wide standards to identify and foster our culture and inform how we interact and hold each other accountable. These principles guide U.S. Soccer: We Win Together. We Aim High. We Champion Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. To be successful as a USSF employee, it is critical to demonstrate and live up to these principles every day and with every interaction with peers, stakeholders, and partners.
The Federation’s core values are the individual attributes and characteristics that staff embody to uphold the organization’s principles and succeed. These values guide our employees: Integrity. Commitment. Teamwork. Respect.
The WNT Sport Scientist will work within the High-Performance Department in collaboration with the Head of Performance , WNT and high- performance staff. This individual will deliver world-class sport science support within the WNT environment and across the U.S. Women’s Professional League. They will act as a key link between the USWNT environment and the U.S. Women’s Professional League by providing key information to the WNT Head of Performance, as well as driving sport science standards across the league. The highly skilled individual will be competent in the delivery of all areas of sport science (load management, strength and conditioning, data science, recovery, travel, and nutrition etc.). The individual will be required to travel extensively with the USWNT to all training and competition events, as well as travel to the clubs within the U.S. Women’s Professional League.
·Deliver sport science and performance support for the USWNT and U.S. Women’s Professional League as requested by the WNT Head of Performance. Assist the WNT Head of Performance to deliver performance services aimed at pushing the boundaries of performance in women’s soccer and help the USWNT consistently challenge for major trophies.
·Within the USWNT environment, provide on-field and in-gym support aimed at preparing players to excel with the demands of training and games at the international level.
·In conjunction with the WNT Head of Performance, work closely with U.S. Women’s Professional League performance staff to ensure efficient and effective player transition between club and country, and drive the development of sport science standards across the league.
·Manage and develop the USWNT and U.S. Women’s Professional League’s centralized GPS and AMS databases. Use cutting- edge methods to derive insights from data that help high performance practitioners make evidence-based decisions.
·Use strong data science skills to provide analysis and reports of player load monitoring, physiological and subjective load response data, physical capacity profiling data and physical game outputs. In addition, develop and streamline data analysis processes that are used within the USWNT environment and across the U.S. Women’s Professional League.
·In conjunction with the WNT Head of Performance, travel and conduct performance testing and provide educational workshops for the U.S. Women’s Professional League and provide educational webinars and dissemination of relevant research topics (recovery, nutrition, menstrual cycle, travel, environment, strength and conditioning, injury mitigation etc.).
·Assist in the development of sport science staff across the U.S. Women’s Professional League.
·Develop and maintain close working relationships with national coaches and support staff to ensure a cohesive multi- disciplinary approach.
·Collaborate in the review, development, and coordination of sport science research projects, contributing to an evolving World- class sport science support program for women’s soccer. Additionally, support the High-Performance Department with research within performance and medicine.
·Contribute to the education of staff and coaches within the Federation, and those enrolled in Federation-specific qualification pathways.
·Perform other duties as determined and assigned to employee by the High-Performance Director, Sporting Director and/or the Federation’s Chief Executive Officer.
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in sport science or related discipline
· Relevant professional body accreditations or equivalent (e.g., NSCA CSCS, UKSCA, BASES)
· 3-5 years of practical performance experience within elite sport
· Experience handling and analyzing performance data and of developing predictive models. Have a high level of competency in using data science software (Tableau, Python, R, Power BI)
· Outstanding theoretical and applied knowledge of contemporary practice in physical performance development, and experience in delivering physical performance coaching in elite sport
· Significant experience working with GPS and other athlete monitoring systems
· Able and willing to travel at least 50% of the year
· Able and willing to work non-traditional hours including evenings and weekends
· Capable of working in fast-paced and demanding environments
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills – the ability to communicate effectively with people from a range of departments and fields
· Must be able to connect “micro” details to the “macro” vision and mission
· Excellent analytical, presentation and written communication skills combined with a professional demeanor
· Proficient experience with Microsoft Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook)
· Master’s degree in sport science, kinesiology, physiology, or a related discipline
· Knowledge and experience in the elite sport setting of female health and performance
· Experience working in international sport
· Experience working in collaboration with coaches and other support staff
· First Aid and CPR certification
· Bilingual (English and Spanish)
· Excellent organizational, data collection, planning, and leadership skills
· Thorough institutional knowledge of U.S. Soccer’s mission, goals, technical plan, policies, practices, and procedures
Working at U.S. Soccer is a unique opportunity. Employees who work at U.S. Soccer have the following attributes:
·Live our Principles & Values
·Adopt a company centric approach—Serve the Athlete and the Fan
·Embrace and see learning as a lifelong pursuit
·Possess a growth mindset—keeps an open mind and seeks new challenges
·Practice self-assessment and self-reflection
·Open to criticism and does not make excuses
·Possess a tireless work ethic
·Wants to be part of a team that wins
·Has the ability to be firm but fair
·Communicate in a direct, open and honest manner
·Build relationships through genuine interpersonal skills