Overall Purpose of Job:
By adopting the coaching philosophy and values of Aberdeen Football Club (AFC), this position primarily focuses on leading the development of individuals within the U13-U16s performance environment. The role will involve guiding players towards the club’s development phase (U17/18s), whilst taking accountability alongside the Academy Director for decision making on each player’s progress.
Main Responsibilities/Description of Duties:
• To oversee the U13s - U16s Youth Phase of the Academy Programme and help develop a positive learning environment for all players and staff in this phase.
• To lead, with support from the U16s Assistant Coach, in a high standard of coaching to the U16s age group, educating youth playersin the Academy playing style through the coaching cycles and tactical playbook.
• To be the Lead Coach in the Club Academy Scotland U16s matches and any additional fixtures throughout the season.
• To represent the club professionally at high level European academy tournaments when required.
• Develop effective working relationships with full time phase staff, including the Foundation Phase Manager, Development Phase Coach (U17/18s), Development Phase Manager and the Head of Goalkeeping.
• Develop effective working relationships with support staff including Sport Scientists, Physiotherapists and Analysts to help enhance the performance environment.
• Maintain a knowledge of all Youth Academy players, and support in executing the club’s player succession plan to provide a visible player pathway to homegrown talent and have a positive contribution to discussion on Academy player progression.
• To develop a strong working relationship with the Scottish FA Performance School Coach and manage the club/school partnership.
• To be influential on decision making at the U13-U16s age groups and provide justification for decisions on players progressing towards the Development Phase (U17/18s) or exiting the programme.
• To oversee the completion of mid-season and end of season progress reports for each player in the youth phase (U13-U16s).
• To ensure all players receive regular and honest feedback on their development throughout the season, whilst managing expectation levels.
• To design, implement, and feedback on a home learning programme for all Youth Phase players.
• With support from the U16s Assistant Coach, ensure all weekly mandatory data is completed on ‘The Football Squad’ online management system, whilst ensuring all U13- U16s data is up to date.
• With support from the Foundation Phase Manager, ensure a smooth transition from the U12s to U13s exists each season.
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with parents of the players within the U13-U16s age groups.
• Engage with established Club Partners Atlanta United, and any other future club partners, to enhance the key pillars of the partnership: player recruitment, staff development, player development, and enhancing the high-performance environment.
• To assess trialists at both training and games and communicate to the Academy Director & Head of Recruitment, whilst taking accountability for decisions.
• To ensure that all Academy players adhere to the Players Code of Conduct and show a high level of respect and discipline.
• At all times observe all AFC Safeguarding & Welfare policies, undertaking annual training as required.
• At all times, advocate and practice the Club’s established culture of professionalism, maintaining standards and discipline, and promoting all aspects of the AFC Personality.
• To adhere to the Aberdeen Football Club staff & coaches Code of Conduct.
• To be aware of and comply with the Aberdeen Football Club Social Media Policy.
• Ensure that any CPD/learning, which is agreed as a part of an individual staff development plan or is required to maintain or achieve a coaching licence in line with Club objectives is completed on an annual basis.
• To attend and support monthly coach in service and development evenings throughout the season.
• To attend Sports First Aid, Mental Health Awareness and Child Protection courses as required.
Person Specification: Experience/Qualifications/Training/Personal Qualities
• UEFA Elite Youth A Licence or UEFA A Licence.
• Experience of working in a professional football multidisciplinary environment.
• Experience of designing and implementing coaching programmes for Academy players.
• Experience of managing staff within development programmes.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and relationship management with ability to inspire individuals.
• Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with players, staff, and senior management.
• Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
• Excellent IT and presentation skills.
• Flexible in approach to the football working week.
• Adaptable and innovative.
• Dedicated to self-improvement and personal development.
• Ability to provide personal coaching & mentoring.
• Sports or Teaching Degree.
• Scottish FA Advanced Children’s Licence.
• Knowledge of ‘The Football Squad’ Performance Management system or equivalent.
• Experience as a Coach Education Tutor.
Application Deadline: Friday 18th June 2021