Leadership & Management
Stadia & Operations
Chicago Fire FC is Chicago’s ambassador to the global sport of football. Founded in 1997, and competing in Major League Soccer, Chicago Fire won its first championship in its debut season and was foundational in the careers of several current MLS coaches and players, as well as International and UEFA Champions League coaches.
Under new ownership, the Club recently returned to Soldier Field as well as opened a new 50,000 square foot office in the heart of the city. With tremendous growth and expansion, the Club is laying the foundation for an audacious and ambitious vision that will transform the brand and the company in the coming years.
Chicago Fire FC is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion. Our diversity initiatives start with the recruitment and selection process; therefore, we’d like to welcome all diverse candidates to apply to opportunities within our Club.
Chicago Fire Football Club is seeking a dedicated Head Groundskeeper to join our team! The Head Groundskeeper will report into the Senior Manager of Team & Football Operations and work closely with Chicago Fire’s first team staff to ensure all field operations are appropriately managed. This individual will be responsible for overseeing the maintenance of the athletic fields used by the Chicago Fire FC First Team as well as participating in the upkeep of athletic fields used by the CFFC Academy. This individual will also manage other grounds crew team members and maintain the necessary equipment needed to accomplish tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
Essential Job Functions (including to but not limited to):
· Perform daily responsibilities of practice fields which includes mowing, irrigation, fertilizing, pesticide applications, field painting, cultural turfgrass practices, equipment operation and maintenance, and snow removal.
· Operate light-duty vehicles such as mowers, tractors, and trucks with a plow.
· Assure the necessary practice equipment (goals, benches, etc.) is set up, maintained, and in good working condition.
· Perform seasonal maintenance of the practice fields (including off-season winters).
· Perform seasonal maintenance of the equipment fleet and ensure proper maintenance is performed in a timely manner.
· Foster professional relationships with coaching staff, first team support staff, players, co-workers, and tenants.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities and be able to demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job:
· Must be able to obtain an IL pesticide license within 90 days of employment.
· 5+ year degree in Turfgrass Science, highly recommended or similar area of study.
· 3-5 years of experience in maintaining sand-based athletic fields.
· Strong written and oral skills with the intent to communicate with technical staff and administration.
· Knowledge of all types of grass and how it is maintained. (Kentucky Bluegrass, Bermuda, etc.)
· Knowledge of turf equipment, tools, and pesticide usage.
· Knowledge of techniques in planting and maintaining trees and shrubs suited to the area location.
· Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
· Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
· Ability to perform physical tasks such as; lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds, climbing stairs, ladders, etc., and pulling tarps.
· Ability to work nights and weekends.
· Must have a valid driver’s license.
CFFC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and maintaining a workplace for employees and applicants for employment that is free from discrimination. The Company does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, citizenship, age, veteran or military status, disability, sexual orientation, sexual orientation, or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.